Labour Mobility and Human Development
- Africa Regional Migration Program
The project's overall objective is to support the Government of The Gambia to manage migration in a sustainable and humane manner. The current phase of the project focuses on three priority areas: migration management, partnerships and crisis response.
IOM’s support to the Government of The Gambia includes:
- Supporting the National Disaster Management Agency (NDMA) to update its national contingency plan -- including through crisis simulation exercises -- following the update of regional contingency plans, and assisting authorities to prepare for and respond to crises in ways that protect and empower migrants
- Enhancing labour migration governance capacity at the national level and crisis preparedness capacity at local levels
- Developing a plan of action on the effective implementation of the Labor Migration Strategy
- Developing a pre-departure training manual for labour migrants and ethical recruitment guidelines, in coordination with the Ministry of Trade, Industry, Regional Integration and Employment
Donor: United States Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration (PRM)
- Migration Management Framework: Evidence to Support Sustainable and Humane Migration Management - Consolidation Phase
The programme objective is to strengthen government capacity to support evidence-based migration management and build on the work done on IOM’s Migration Governance Indicators (MGI) at the national level. This cycle envisages conducting a local MGI assessment of the migration governance system in Kanifing Municipal Council (KMC).
Specifically, the MGI assists governments to:
- Make progress on their migration management priorities and gradually improve their migration management systems, emphasizing government ownership in the process
- Take stock of their migration policies and strategies
- Identify good practices and areas with potential for further development