Labour Mobility and Human Development
- Support to Local Economic Development in The Gambia, Guinea Conakry and Guinea-Bissau
The overall project objective is to promote safe migration and create alternatives to the irregular migration of youth by fostering employment in communities of origin.
Its three essential components include:
- Equipping national and local stakeholders with the necessary tools to link migration to development policies and promote migration sensitive policies
- Improving youth employment services and job opportunities in local communities affected by irregular migration
- Facilitating diaspora engagement to contribute to youth empowerment and promoting local alternatives to irregular migration through skills transfers programmes
Donor: Italian Agency for Development Cooperation (AICS)
- Africa Regional Migration Program
The current phase of the Africa Regional Migration Program focuses on two priority areas: (i) promoting sustainable, humane migration management; and (ii) preparing countries to respond to migration emergencies.
IOM’s support to the Government of The Gambia includes:
- Updating the contingency plans of the Banjul City Council and Kanifing Municipal Council, including through crisis simulation exercise
- Enhancing labour migration governance capacity at the national level and crisis preparedness capacity at local levels
- Developing a pre-departure training manual for labour migrants and a policy guideline for ethical recruitment, in coordination with the Ministry of Trade, Industry, Regional Integration and Employment
Donor: US Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration (PRM)